Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Teaching Children about Diversity: Teacher Edition Part II

This Scholarly Mommy's "free time" has sure been limited these days.  You know what though? I started this blog to stay up to date with the world of education.  I may not have been posting much but I have been up to date with the world of educating an almost 2 year old boy.  I am learning so much with this young human being and sincerely enjoying every minute I have with him.  He has recently started talking and I think it is so awesome how he switches back and forth from English and Spanish.  My husband and I are so proud of him as should every other parents be of their children.  For those who celebrate the upcoming holidays: Thanksgiving & Christmas, enjoy! I love this time of year.  We get to spend it with family and basically take time out from hectic everyday life.

As promised Part II of the Teacher Edition:

Evaluating Yourself and Your Classroom

            As multicultural education we must recognize our own bias and prejudice before we try to help others.  Ask yourself, am I bias, homophobic, prejudice, racist, sexist; do I stereotype?  Once you are comfortable to recognize your bias with others, others will be comfortable recognizing it too.  Evaluate your classroom; make sure that it is anti-bias.   The Anti-Defamation League (2002) provides a checklist to identify strengths and needs of the environment, answering “we do this well” or “needs improvement”; some examples follow: 
·         Does the physical environment contain images of people from diverse backgrounds (for example, diverse cultures and religions, and people of different ages)?
·         Does the physical environment include images that counter existing stereotypes (for example, a Mexican physician instead of a Mexican in a sombrero taking a siesta)?
·         Does the physical environment include images of diverse people engaged in everyday dress and activities, as opposed to ancient or ceremonial dress?
·         Does the physical environment include images of people with a range of different abilities, body types, socioeconomic groups, or neighborhoods; do they interact with one another?
·         Does the physical environment include images and toys that counter gender stereotypes (for example, women demonstrating physical strength and men performing domestic tasks, or caring for children)?
·          Do textbooks and other literature include content and illustration that reflect the experiences of people from a diverse background?
You might not have each of the criteria accomplished in your classroom, but each year an improvement can be made.      
      
Conclusion (The Assessment)

           
            It is wrong to think that a curriculum like this is going to magically change the world at once?  Multicultural education is defined differently throughout research.  It does seek to create an environment in which all children are treated and educated equally.  How can the success of this curriculum be determined?  I believe that time will tell.  In a preschool classroom I taught, I knew that the multicultural education was a success.  A three year old knew what country each child was from, some foods they liked to eat and words in their language.  The children would take imaginary trips to each others country and do fun things that they liked to do when they were there.  They even knew where all of there teachers were from and they loved learning about their different countries.  I believe that within time the children’s interest will be greater; not only to know more about the countries they already know about but the countries that are new to them.  It is a great feeling to see these interactions amongst the children.  Some of these materials and activities were not even provided.  I can only imagine the results of multicultural education would be integrated entirely. 
 When you try to measure the success of integrating multicultural education into the classroom you might not be able disappointed or discouraged.  I measure the success depending on the social interaction between the students.  Are they more respectful of each other? Are they interested in learning more about each other?  I consider it a success when just one child has demonstrated these social skills.  I believe that once one student has demonstrated these skills, other will follow. 


Wow? That's it?! Yeap. That was the conclusion to that paper... Not much, huh?! I'm figuring things out as I have this blog.  Even though people enjoy reading research they are mostly interested on what you have to say in an impersonal way.  I guess I had planned to continue with the 3rd series, Teaching Children Diversity" Principal edition but I am kind of bored with that.  I want to express myself more.  Although, I have just with papers I wrote in the past.  I'd like to think I'm a wee bit wiser now (hopefully).  So soon, I will post, What is culture? Mostly just my thoughts, some research thrown in, but that's what its going to be for now.  If you are a principal or administrator and are curious about the paper I wrote on Teaching Children Diversity you can email me thescholarlymommy@gmail.com and I will share it with you.
     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment