Monday, August 22, 2011

Teaching Children about Diversity

As I debated what to write about next, I came across a conversation about diversity a group of mommies were having. Then I asked myself, "Why did you even debate about what to write about?" This is my thing, I love discussing and teaching about diversity.

I'd like to open this series with a mini discussion about diversity. I would like to discuss:
  • What is diversity?
  • What is multicultural education?
Before I get technical, I want to put these terms into my own words.

The topic of multicultural education is very dear to my heart. As a Christian, I see it as loving thy neighbor. People are different and God made us that way. Christ loves everyone without exceptions and I believe that it is our job to love people without exceptions as well. The beauty of this topic is that even if you don't have the same spiritual views as me, you are still open to learn what I think. 

Love is a complicated word, isn't it? You may think, well it's impossible to love everyone. That may be true; it just depends on how you define love. I've had these lyrics stuck in my head this whole week, a song by Kirk Franklin titled, "Love"

Love, a word that comes and goes, but few people really know what it means to really love somebody...

I like how Rich Deem describes love:

Everybody seems to believe that love is a good thing. However, not all agree what is love. Is love that warm touchy-feely feeling a person has when he is with a familiar person? According to the Bible, love is caring in action. Love isn't what we feel, but what we do.

I'd like to add my two cents and say that love is a tree and on that tree there are different branches. Each branch is love but in a different way. This tree has literally millions of branches and all serve their purpose. I'm not even going to try to mention what each of them are. I do want to mention one though, respect. This is one way to love thy neighbor. This may not be the kind of love that makes you want to go hug a person (that's a different branch). This branch helps you accept the fact that others don't think like you.
As a member of society, I preach about multicultural education as love in disguise, teaching about different branches of love especially respect, acceptance and tolerance.

What is diversity?

Very simple. The word diversity means, "different" as in not the same; unlike each other.
When I mention the word “Diversity” or diverse I will refer to differences in people. 

What is multicultural education?

Multicultural education is a progressive approach for transforming education that holistically critiques and responds to discriminatory policies and practices in education. It is grounded in ideals of social justice, education equity, critical pedagogy, and a dedication to providing educational experiences in which all students reach their full potentials as learners and as socially aware and active beings, locally, nationally, and globally (Gorski, 2010).

I especially agree with the last sentence previously mentioned.  Multicultural education provides common ethics in relation to human interactions.  When children learn about multicultural education they are taught how to respect, accept and tolerate others different than them.   
   
Many can agree that the main purpose of multicultural education is to combat prejudice, discrimination, eliminate stereotypes, increase self-esteem and function better in community (Angelo & Dixey, 2001, Derman-Sparks, 1989, Lutz & Kuhlman, 2000, McJilton, 2002).  It is also important to mention that multicultural education does not limit itself by teachings of other countries.  When culture is mentioned, it includes (but not limited to) gender, age, abilities, disabilities and economic status.  Prejudice and stereotyping begins when a person does not have sufficient information on a culture or an individual.  When information and personal experience is provided there is less chance for bias and assumptions.  This culture or individual is now familiar and comments and actions towards them will tend to be accurate and appropriate (LeRose, 2007).  

My next blog entries will be about the following topics:

  • How parents can teach their children about diversity.
  • How teachers can teach about diversity in the classroom.
  • How administrators/principals can promote and foster diversity in their schools.

Reflection

How do you talk to your children about diversity? Have you had any of these discussions? Care to share?




1 comment:

  1. One of the best explanations I have ever heard about love. Great article...
    "love is a tree and on that tree there are different branches. Each branch is love but in a different way. This tree has literally millions of branches and all serve their purpose. I'm not even going to try to mention what each of them are. I do want to mention one though, respect. This is one way to love thy neighbor."

    ReplyDelete